Thursday 19 January 2012

Beer Label Project From Beginning to End

The Project objective:
The objective is to create a new un-named beer that is smart, classy and has deep roots. The target audience is 25-50 year old, 70% male. They are the type of people that read national newspaper, watch 1.5 hours of T.V a day, subscribe to Sports Illustrated and Time and buy mid-upper class European cars.

At the beginning of the beer label project I had a hard time finding a name for a beer that wasn't already in use. My though process consisted of first making a flowchart of everything beer related. This included the beer making process, prohibition, what men like to do, where and when beer is drank, names for beer, words that stood for strength, class and courage. From that I came up with two names, Tabono, which is a symbol of paddles that stands for strength and Ansonia which is a type of clock, to go off of how most upper class men wear watches and how you lose track of time while drinking.
I also researched other beer labels that I took interest in. These are examples of some:


Both of these names didn't seem to suite beer as best as possible so I researched animals that stood for strength. From this I came up with the name "Wild Beast."
These are my roughs for the label:
Next I started to chose fonts and vector the cow skull which looked like this:

I chose colours that would give the feeling of an old Texas wanted poster. From here I was given the suggestion to try using the Texas flag colours. These were the two options, both give a very different feel:

I decided to go with the red white and blue and add a leather texture to the back. One of the biggest challenges was the printing. I wanted to use a shiny iridescent paper to simulate the idea of a Texas badge. The difficulty came from the paper making the label a few shades darker than I wanted it to be. After experimenting with a handful of different papers I found one that worked.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment