Tuesday 17 January 2012

Small Town vs. Big City

How I feel about being a small town girl.

Growing up in KW, and going to elementary, high school and college in KW I feel like I haven't been exposed to as much design related places and people as I could have been if I had gone to a school in the city. Although going to school in town has helped me with living accommodations, expenses and maintaining a job I feel like it has limited me in other ways. There are only about 3 museums in KW and less resources compared to living in Toronto (or any other bigger city.) On the other hand I feel like people here are more open and willing to converse and share. ie. Smaller design firms here will email you back and make time to talk to you in person compared to big design firms that wont make the time. I feel like this is the friendly environment that I would prefer to work in.

Taking to a city girl.

 My friend Melanie Mescudi is in graphic design at Humber. I asked her a few question of how she feels to be living in a big city compared to a smaller city such as KW. I also asked her about her living accommodations, class sizes, transportation and resources and networking. Since she is originally from here she knows the atmosphere of both places.


Living in a big city is more fast pace then Waterloo was, you wait in line at every store but I like it because this is where I wanna be. Waterloo was crowded enough you could see the same person a few times a month, chances here if u mess up there is a high chance you'll see that person again. Living in a big city has let me make room exploration and a different aspect creative wise. I have a class of 32 and they are probably the best type of people we are different but the same, creative people. I love it. We can bounce each other ideas and we understand the jokes others may not. I live in a house with 15 other students that attend Humber at both campus. I use the TTC everyday and have a 20 min bus ride to school and on weekends if I wanna go downtown I take the subway or streetcar down. it's hard to get a job down here but I'm trying. T.O is expensive but its worth the stay I love my course and I enjoy the friends I have made down here. I admit I miss home sometimes but I think I could live here for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment